The following recipe is just for readers of this newsletter—it’s from “The 150 Healthiest 15-Minute Meals on Earth” by myself and my co-author, chef extraordinaire Jeannette Bessinger. Enjoy
Apple Bean Breakfast Bake
My friends make fun of me when I suggest having beans for breakfast, but when they try this dish they see what I’m talking about! To me, the secret of managing weight (and eating less food in general) is to keep your blood sugar from going on a roller coaster ride. (When blood sugar shoots up- as it does when you eat high carb foods, it also crashes back down, leaving you ravenously hungry.) The best way to keep your blood sugar even (and keep cravings at bay) is to eat high fiber foods. They enter the bloodstream slowly and keep you full and satisfied longer. And no food accomplishes this better than beans! Mix with some cheese, seeds and apples and you have an amazing breakfast.
PS This also makes a quick but hearty snack with great staying power!
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 crisp apples (Gala or Pink Lady work well), cored and diced, unpeeled
- 1 cup cooked chick peas (drained and rinsed, if canned)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup toasted, tamari sunflower seeds
- Bring water to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add apples and cook, uncovered, until water has evaporated, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add chick peas and toss gently to warm them.
- Sprinkle cheese over all and cook for 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- Top with sunnies and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings